The Edisto Chamber of Commerce announces Bob Hare as the 2020 Martha Whetstone Service Award winner
Under normal circumstances, the Martha Whetstone Award is presented at the Chamber’s Annual Dinner for the many members who attend to recognize and congratulate the award winner. 2020 has been anything but normal. With the postponement of the annual dinner, the Chamber presented this well deserved honor at the August 10th Board Meeting. This year’s recipient of the Martha Whetstone Service Award is Robert “Bob” Hare.
Martha Whetstone was active at Trinity Church, she mentored at Jane Edwards for many children of the island, and she was an active member of the Edisto Art Guild. A successful business woman on Edisto, she was also very involved with the Edisto Chamber of Commerce and many projects within the Edisto Community.
In 2005, after her passing, the Chamber established this award to honor a business, group, or individual that has provided exceptional service for either the community or the Chamber. The recipient is nominated and chosen by the Chamber Board of Directors each year.
Bob Hare was a clear choice for the recipient of this year’s Award. He is extremely active in the community, working to educate the youth of Edisto and act as a mentor to those who need it. He is an ambassador for the Island and its natural resources; he has the Island and its people’s best interest at heart. He is an incredible asset to Edisto Island.
In addition, Bob is involved in all of the following:
- He is a board member and volunteer coordinator for FreSpace.
- He is a turtle Patrol, Grunt Tuesday Work Crew member and Beach volunteer for Botany Bay.
- He is a Committee member with DHEC and Clemson University for Edisto Island Water Quality.
- He is a Past Board Member and secretary for the Edisto Island Lions Club.
- He is a Land Protection Committee member, Hutchinson House Committee Member, Board member, Executive Committee member and vice chair, young naturalist volunteer and Incoming Board Chairman for the Edisto Island Open Land Trust.
- He is a Coast Guard Licensed Captain at Masters Level and provides Eco Tours as a guide.
- He is a volunteer Edisto Community Chorus Director.
As you can see, Bob is a huge supporter of Edisto Island and its resources. Next time you see him, please give Bob a pat on the back and congratulate him for being chosen as this year’s recipient of the Martha Whetstone Service Award. Thank you, Bob Hare, for your service to the Edisto Community!